classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
772 messages Options
1 ... 891011121314 ... 39
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trey Griffey, son of Ken Griffey Jr., signs with Miami Dolphins

Angel92
Wide receiver Trey Griffey, son of Ken Griffey Jr., has http://www.hl-sapporo.com/chris-scott-jersey-c-1_45.html signed a contract with the Miami Dolphins, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. Time
Trey Griffey, a wide receiver and the son of Hall of Fame outfielder and former Cincinnati Reds and Moeller High School star Ken Griffey Jr. and grandson of Reds Hall of Famer Ken Griffey Sr., signed with the Miami Dolphins, the team confirmed Tuesday via Twitter.
The Colts waived Trey in June after signing him in May as an undrafted free agent.
Trey had 23 catches for 382 yards and two touchdowns last season at Arizona and was an honorable mention all-Pac-12 selection. A season earlier, he caught 11 passes for 284 yards, but missed part of it because of a broken http://www.hssmstore.com/curtis-samuel-jersey-c-1_37.html foot. In 2014, he had 31 catches for 405 yards.
Trey was drafted in June of 2016 by the Seattle Mariners in the 24th round of the Major League Baseball draft.
Reply | Threaded
|

Pirates' Gerrit Cole homers, gets first career win over Reds, 1-0

Angel92
In reply to this post by coming
CINCINNATI (AP) — On his 10th try, Gerrit Cole finally beat the Cincinnati Reds. And he pretty much had to do it by himself.
Cole ended his career-long futility against http://www.dusenadup.com/ryan-kalil-jersey-c-1_20.html the Reds by hitting a homer , pitching seven innings and leading the Pittsburgh Pirates to a 1-0 victory Saturday night.
"That's the old thing: When something like this happens, you joking say he Little Leagued them," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "He shut 'em out and hit a homer. That's impressive."
Cole (11-8) was 0-6 against Cincinnati in nine starts, including a loss earlier this season. He broke through by holding down a lineup that had scored nine runs the previous night. Cole gave up five hits, didn't walk a batter and fanned six.
Box score:Pirates 1, Reds 0
He also connected for his first homer of the season and the third of his career off Luis Castillo (2-7) in the sixth, getting around on a 95 mph fastball. It was Cole's first homer since May 26, 2016, against Arizona at PNC Park.
Cole has had so little practice at his home run trot that he stumbled rounding second base.
"I almost broke my ankle at second base and I think (Cincinnati's) Scooter Gennett was laughing at me," Cole said. "It doesn't happen very often. It's cool being in the box and hearing the sound off the bat."
The last time an opposing pitcher homered to beat the Reds 1-0 was 1983, when the Dodgers' Bob Welch connected off Mario Soto, according to information from the Elias Sports Bureau provided by the Reds. It was the first time in Pirates history that a pitcher drove in all Pittsburgh's runs in a shutout victory.
"I made a mental mistake," Castillo said. "He was leading off and I threw a fastball right down the middle and he hit it out of the park."
Cole is 8-0 in his last nine road starts. The last Pirates pitcher to win eight straight road decisions was Don Robinson in 1982.
Juan Nicasio and Felipe Rivero completed the http://www.hl-sapporo.com/captain-munnerlyn-jersey-c-1_17.html five-hitter, with the left-hander getting his 15th save in 16 chances.
The Pirates won for only the third time in 13 games against their Ohio River rivals this season, and did it with minimal offense. Pittsburgh hit just four balls out of the infield — including Cole's homer — in seven innings against Castillo, who matched his career high by fanning nine.
Pittsburgh has lost 10 of its last 14 games, fading out of the NL Central race. The last-place Reds are 16-26 since the All-Star break.
GOTCHA
Cincinnati left fielder Adam Duvall threw out Josh Bell at the plate as he tried to score on David Freese's single in the fourth inning. It was the 13th time Duvall has thrown out a baserunner this season, the most by a major league outfielder. Duvall's 13 assists are the most by a Reds outfielder since Jay Bruce had that many in 2013.
STATS
It was the 21st 1-0 game in Great American Ball Park's 15-year history. ... Joey Votto's streak of reaching base in 29 straight games was snapped. ... Eugenio Suarez's career-high 10-game hitting streak ended.
REDS MOVE
RHP Nefi Ogando was reinstated from the 60-day DL and outrighted to Triple-A Louisville. He's been sidelined since April 2 with a sprained right thumb.
TRAINER'S ROOM
Pirates: C Francisco Cervelli went back on the 10-day DL with a sore left thigh. He came off the disabled list Friday after recovering from a sore wrist, and hurt his thigh while running the bases. C Elias Dias was recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis. ... OF Gregory Polanco, on the DL for the second time because of a strained left hamstring, did some agility drills and took batting practice but isn't close to returning. ... Wade LeBlanc, on the DL with a strained left thigh, threw 45 pitches in a simulated game. He's eligible to be activated on Monday.
Reds: RHP Homer Bailey expects to start Wednesday against the Mets. He left his outing last Tuesday against the Cubs after only Curtis Samuel Womens Jersey three innings because of discomfort in the back of his pitching shoulder. The Reds are giving him a couple extra days to recover.
UP NEXT
Pirates: RHP Jameson Taillon is 1-2 in his career against the Reds with a 7.01 ERA. He's made three starts against them this season, going 0-2 while allowing 16 runs in 14 2/3 innings.
Reds: RHP Tyler Mahle makes his major league debut. Chad Wallach, who caught him at Triple-A Louisville this season, will be behind the plate. Wallach's father, former major leaguer Tim Wallach, is planning to attend. Wallach is a Marlins coach.
Reply | Threaded
|

Aggies in the NFL: Rams' Reynolds has 3 catches for 71 yards

Angel92
Los Angeles Rams’ rookie receiver http://www.ky-oo32.com/harrison-butker-jersey-c-1_34.html Josh Reynolds had three catches for 71 yards in a 21-19 loss to San Diego, including a 38-yard touchdown catch. One of his catches was a 17-yarder on third-and-2.
“I think there was a couple of plays at the end of the first half that he’d like to have back,” said Rams’ coach Sean McVay on the team’s website. “But, to Josh’s credit, he came back, he made a great catch on the crossing route, held onto the football and then he comes back and responds by finishing [the touchdown drive] up with a great route.”
•Kansas City defensive back Steven Terrell had three tackles in a 26-13 loss to Seattle.
•Arizona’s Ricky Seals-Jones had a 9-yard catch in the Cardinals’ 24-14 victory over Atlanta. Cornerback Brandon Williams had a tackle. Trevor Knight was 0-for-2 passing.
•Pittsburgh’s Trey Williams had three punt returns for 10 yards in a 19-15 loss to Indianapolis. He also had a 10-yard catch.
•Tampa Bay safety Justin Evans had a tackle in a 13-9 loss to Cleveland.
•Dallas wide receiver Uzoma Nwachukwu had http://www.arimtex.com/aaron-hicks-jersey-c-1_38.html two catches for 7 yards in a 24-20 victory over Oakland. Cowboys defensive end Damontre’ Moore had two tackles, including a sack. Dallas safety Jameill Showers had a tackle and pass deflection.
•The Los Angeles Chargers’ Drew Kaser averaged 50.5 yards on two punts.
Reply | Threaded
|

John Kelly cuts down on Infowars, Charles Johnson stories

Angel92
The new White House Chief of Staff http://www.armacan.com/curtis-samuel-jersey-c-1_16.html John Kelly is moving to impose complete control over the flow of documents to Trump's desk, Politico reports. A White House source, who is familiar with the process, confirmed the story to Axios.
Key details:
"In a conference call last week, Kelly initiated a new policymaking process in which just he and one other aide — White House staff secretary Rob Porter, a little-known but highly regarded Rhodes Scholar who overlapped with Jared Kushner as an undergraduate at Harvard — will review all documents that cross the Resolute Desk."
"The new system, laid out in two memos co-authored by Kelly and Porter and distributed to Cabinet members and White House staffers in recent days, is designed to ensure that the president won't see any external policy documents, internal policy memos, agency reports, and even news articles that haven't been vetted."
Why this matters: Kelly is simply instituting http://www.cinemakolik.com/daeshon-hall-jersey-c-1_19.html normal White House procedures; but that's a big step from the early freewheeling days of the Trump Administration. In those early, messy, months, Oval Office visitors had no trouble sliding mischievous documents onto the president's desk. Some of these documents were news stories from controversial sources — including one by the internet provocateur Charles Johnson, accusing former deputy chief of staff, Katie Walsh, of leaking.
As Shane Goldmacher, who is now with the NYT, details in this May piece, these planted stories have been destructive: "A news story tucked into Trump's hands at the right moment can torpedo an appointment or redirect the president's entire agenda. Current and former Trump officials say Trump can react volcanically to negative press clips, especially those with damaging leaks, becoming engrossed in finding out where they originated."
Such shadow knifings won't happen so much Lawrence Taylor Jersey during office hours; but late at night on the phone to Trump — that's another story.
Reply | Threaded
|

From Christian McCaffrey to Joe Mixon, what to expect from top rookie RBs

Angel92
Eight running backs selected in the 2017 NFL draft continue to turn heads in practice and preseason games. NFL Nation reporters http://www.officialpiratessale.com/barry-bonds-jersey-c-1_3.html break down each rookie, including first-round choices Leonard Fournette and Christian McCaffrey, and the impact they could have this season:
How big of a role will your rookie RB have this season?
Fournette is going to be the Jaguars’ main back in 2017, even with former second-round pick T.J. Yeldon and 2016 free-agent signee Chris Ivory on the roster. The expectation is Fournette will get at least 250 carries, and he also should be the Jaguars’ first option on the goal line, which is great for fantasy owners.
What is the biggest concern at this point?
Fournette’s performance behind a shaky offensive line. The unit got handled by the Bucs’ defensive front in a preseason game, and the team has not decided on a starter at left guard. Fournette isn’t going to have a lot of space in which to work at the line of scrimmage.
What are his coaches and teammates saying about him?
Fournette’s study habits, his maturity and the way he conducts himself make him seem like a veteran. “Can’t even tell [he’s under any pressure],” said tight end Marcedes Lewis, who is entering his 12th season. “You can’t even tell with him. That’s what I like about him.”
Panthers reporter David Newton on Christian McCaffrey:
How big of a role will your rookie http://www.officialredsprostore.com/todd-frazier-jersey-c-1_25.html running back have this season?
On a scale of 1 to 10, around 15. McCaffrey will line up in the I-formation, next to the quarterback in the shotgun, at slot receiver and wide receiver, and behind center in the Wildcat formation. The screen pass that’s collected dust the past few years now is a weapon. McCaffrey will be a fantasy point-producing machine.
What is the biggest concern at this point?
Trying to find enough ways to keep McCaffrey on the field. This really isn’t a concern because offensive coordinator Mike Shula lines McCaffrey up everywhere but the offensive line, and that may have crossed his mind. The only thing more impressive than McCaffrey on the field is his preparation.
What are his coaches and teammates saying about him?
This from running back Jonathan Stewart sums up what most in the organization think: “I can tell you now there’s not going to be anybody in this league that can cover him one-on-one.’’ Everyone, from coach Ron Rivera to middle linebacker Johnny Cueto Jersey Luke Kuechly, says McCaffrey is “special,” particularly with his first move, which Kuechly calls “shake.”
Reply | Threaded
|

Rookie RB Foreman shines early for Houston Texans

Angel92
HOUSTON (AP) — D'Onta Foreman's http://www.rd-corp.com/paul-oneill-jersey-c-1_33.html performance through Houston's first two preseason games has many raving about the rookie.
Texans coach Bill O'Brien is not among them.
"That's the second preseason game ... he's got a lot of talent, but I think he's got a long way to go," O'Brien said.
While O'Brien was careful not to heap too much praise upon the running back so early, it's hard to deny that he's been one of the most impressive performers for the Texans so far.
The third-round pick from Texas ran for 76 yards in the first preseason game before grabbing two receptions for 66 yards and rushing for a 4-yard touchdown on Saturday against the Patriots.
A highlight against New England came when he caught a short pass from fellow rookie Deshaun Watson and broke several tackles before rumbling for a 63-yard gain that set up a touchdown by Watson.
With that 63-yard reception and a 41-yard run in the first preseason game, Foreman has the longest run and the longest reception by a Texan in the preseason.
Despite his early success, Foreman knows that he needs to do much more if he hopes to contribute this season. He was asked what area he needs to improve on most.
"I would say everything," he said. "I can never be complacent. I can always get better in every aspect of the game. I did some things well, but I feel like I can pick some of my holes better (and) I feel like I can protect the ball better. http://www.texansprosale.com/kevin-johnson-jersey-c-1_31.html Sometimes I was kind of loose with that ... I feel like there's always things I can fix."
Foreman joined the Texans after rushing for 2,028 yards with 15 touchdowns as a junior for the Longhorns last season to win the Doak Walker Award given to the country's best running back.
He joined a backfield which features Lamar Miller, who ran for 1,073 yards last season. While Miller is entrenched as the starter, Foreman could be a nice change of pace back to take some of the load off Miller after he was sixth in the NFL with a career-high 268 carries last year.
Miller likes what he's seen from Foreman so far.
"He's been doing a great job getting adjusted to the NFL (and) ... learning his assignments and just going out there and playing fast," Miller said. "I think he's been doing a great job in practice and ... he just has to keep getting better."
Foreman has already learned a lot not only from Miller, but also from fourth-year pro Alfred Blue and said the bond among the running backs has been growing since he arrived.
"Funny guys. Lot of funny guys. But it's great," Foreman said. "I learn from those guys every day and they teach me a lot. Great chemistry. I talk to those guys about everything. We're always laughing and joking. They're great guys."
Foreman is sure to get a lot of work in Houston's last two preseason games, and while O'Brien isn't overly complimentary of the rookie, he Andy Lee Authentic Jersey certainly sees the potential in the 21-year-old.
"If he continues to work hard and learn and pay attention in the meetings and do all the things that we're asking him to do ... I think that he'll be a good player. But I think this is just one step along the way and hopefully it continues."
Reply | Threaded
|

Drew Brees on Deshaun Watson: “He’s as talented as they come”

Angel92
Another great NFL quarterback had some http://www.hl-sapporo.com/andrew-norwell-jersey-c-1_22.html nice things to say about Houston Texans’ rookie Deshaun Watson.
Just last week New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady had plenty of nice things to say about Houston Texans’ rookie quarterback Deshaun Watson.
With Watson and the Texans set to face off against the New Orleans Saints on Saturday, both teams held a joint practice this week.
Saints quarterback and future Hall of Famer Drew Brees had some encouraging things to say about Watson.
From the Houston Chronicle:
Watson hasn’t been perfect during the preseason so far, but that’s not a surprise given the fact that he’s a rookie and there is a learning curve.
The good news is that it looks like the NFL stage is not too big for Watson and he’s up to the challenge.
Most importantly I think Watson has the confidence in http://www.hssmstore.com/andrew-norwell-jersey-c-1_9.html himself that will help him be successful in the NFL.
While I really thought Watson would be the Texans’ starter heading into the regular season, Tom Savage has surprised us all and has solidified his spot as the No. 1 quarterback in Houston.
Reply | Threaded
|

Room for Eric Crume?

Angel92
CHARLOTTE – Many more college football http://www.ky-oo32.com/chris-scott-jersey-c-1_7.html players than actually make it in the NFL believe they will make the cut, but defensive tackle Eric Crume is one hopeful who believes in performing a reality check.
In the case of Crume, the reality is that he has a better shot than you might think after glancing at his college bio.
"Sometimes you've got to be realistic with yourself. I didn't have great numbers," Crume said. "But I knew I could play with anybody."
Crume has put up some serious numbers so far this preseason – serious numbers as defensive tackles go. The position is more about grunt work than shiny stats, but Crume has both – relatively speaking. His seven tackles are the most among defensive linemen. More impressively, he's logged 88 plays through three games – 32 more than any other defensive tackle.
And it's been about quality as much as quantity.
"He's played more snaps than any defensive lineman, and when he's been in there our linebackers have still been able to run well," head coach Ron Rivera said. "That's probably one of the biggest tests that I look at – does a nose tackle, does a three-technique allow the linebackers to run?"
The 330-pounder who spent last season on the Panthers' practice squad has been called upon in bulk because of injuries at the position. Behind starters Kawann Short and Star Lotulelei, Kyle Love hasn't played in a preseason game and Vernon Butler played five snaps in the opener before going down with a knee injury.
Yet Crume still seems to always have just enough left in the tank, as illustrated by him sprinting nearly 40 yards down the left sideline late in last week's game at Jacksonville in hopes of springing cornerback Zack Sanchez for an interception return. The effort was highlighted by his defensive coaches during a recent meeting.
"I wanted to give him a chance to score," Crume said. "I just like being around the guys and have a good spirit every day. When you grow up where things are hard, you learn to appreciate the good things in life and take the best of them. This is a blessing.
"You've just got to enjoy it while it lasts. My last http://www.arimtex.com/aaron-judge-jersey-c-1_45.html play could be tomorrow. You never know, so I just try to enjoy it."
That attitude helped him through tough times growing up in Detroit and helped him believe in himself after he started just 10 games over an injury-riddled four seasons at Syracuse. It should also help him be mentally prepared for what could happen later this week when the Panthers trim their roster from 90 all the way down to 53 for the regular season.
Crume isn't widely regarded as a player likely to survive the cut, but his determination combined with the current injury situation means he might just have a shot.
"I still keep a positive attitude because I can only control what I can control," he said. "As long as I give 100 percent and put myself in the best position, that's all I can do. I just control what I can control and go play ball."
INJURY UPDATE: Butler worked on the side for the second consecutive day as he continues his bid to return from a sprained left knee in time for Week 1. Love (ankle), who traveled to Jacksonville but didn't play, wasn't on the practice field for the second consecutive day. Defensive tackle Toby Johnson (leg) did practice for the first Captain Munnerlyn Womens Jersey time since July 26, the opening night at training camp. Guard Chris Scott, who's in the concussion protocol, was taken inside early in practice.
Reply | Threaded
|

The Zack Greinke trade was one of the best prospect packages in recent history

Angel92
We may be coming up on the last month http://www.dusenadup.com/matt-kalil-jersey-c-1_33.html of seeing Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain in a Royals uniform as both players are eligible for free agency at the end of the year. The two have been a huge part of the recent run of success, each winning an American League Championship Series MVP.
The two players were part of a huge, six-player trade with Milwaukee back in 2010, that also netted the Royals pitchers Jake Odorizzi and Jeremy Jeffress in exchange for infielder Yuniesky Betancourt and former Cy Young winner Zack Greinke. With their service with the Royals possibly coming to an end, I wanted to evaluate how great this trade was in terms of the haul the Royals got for an established player in his prime.
I went back and looked at all trades of established players for prospects from 2000-2014 (more recent trades likely haven’t produced much fruit yet). For these purposes I only looked at trades that sent one or two veterans (three years or more) in exchange for prospects or young players (less than three years of service). I am not looking at “challenge” trades where two young players are swapped, or when two veterans are traded for each other.
I examined the values for the young players in http://www.hl-sapporo.com/captain-munnerlyn-jersey-c-1_17.html the seasons before they would have become eligible for free agency or were released, and did not include the values of any veterans included in the deal. I gave no consideration to if a prospect was later traded, or what they were traded for. I gave no consideration to what was given up. I simply wanted to know how much value a team got from its package of prospects had they kept all of them through their reserve years. Here are the top ten prospect hauls from trades since 2000.
Reply | Threaded
|

Schmidt, Parpagene set the pace at Lebanon County Better Ball

Angel92
MYERSTOWN - There were few surprises and http://www.hssmstore.com/daryl-worley-jersey-c-1_39.html plenty of light moments during the opening round of the Lebanon County Better Ball Golf Championships Saturday at Lebanon Valley Golf Course.
Defending champs Mike Schmidt, Jr. and Pete Parpagene shot a blistering 29 on the back nine to post a 7-under round of 64 to grab the early lead.
Three groups, tournament director Tony Deraco and Greg Behney, Skeet Wentling and Justin Arnt and Chris Gebhard and Jim Gardner, shared second place with rounds of 66.
For anybody who has ever played Lebanon Valley, much of the gallows humor circled around holes Nos. 4 and 6.
Depending on the pin placements, both greens can lead to calamitous putts.
"I never laughed as much on a green as I did today on No. 6," Schmidt said. "Pete had a 3 or 4-footer up the hill. It lipped out, rolled around the cup and he had to jump out of the way as it rolled back toward him. It went 20 feet off the green."
Similar tales were in abundance.
Ben Brewer, playing with Shane Gingrich and in a group with Schmidt and Parpagene, had the chip of the day on No. 4, a 473-yard uphill par 4 to a tilted green. The pin was in the lower right corner of the green.
"Ben hit a chip that went 20 feet past the hole up the hill," Parpagene said. "He was all ticked off because it went so far past. But it started rolling back down the hill and Mike said it 'it's going to go in,' I looked at it and sure enough, it broke a little left and right in the hole. Otherwise, it was off the green."
There was also plenty of good golf played. Deraco and Behney were the first group in.
"We had a good round, but we left some shots out there," Derarco said. "We putted well enough. Local knowledge on this course is a definite plus."
Deraco rolled in a 20-footer on 17 to get his team to 7-under, but then a double bogey followed on 18.
"One of us drove right and the other drove left, both behind trees," he said. "Then second shots behind trees and so forth. We were hoping for tap-ins for bogey, but it never happened."
Wentling and Arnt, both with plenty of local knowledge, were next in with their 66. Wentling grew up working with his brother, Derek, for their http://www.ky-oo32.com/mike-adams-jersey-c-1_25.html dad, Scott, who was head groundskeeper at LVGC before his untimely death nearly a decade ago.
Arnt, a graduate of Elco and Alvernia, has been playing Lebanon Valley all his life. They teamed together earlier this summer to win a Better Ball tournament at Royal Oaks.
"Playing here means a lot to me, because of my dad's history here," Wentling said. "My first so-called job was here when I was 12. It put a lot of pressure on Justin, because I didn't necessarily play too well today, but he did. I was just along for the ride."
Gebhard, who won the Sullivan this summer at the Lebanon Country Club with Noah Firestone, and Gardner, a local veteran golfer, were next in with 66, but not real happy about it.
"We never really got it going," Gebhard said. "Too many bogeys."
Twelve teams will comprise the championship flight. Following with 67s were the teams of Jeff Hoke and Chris Fairbanks and Steve Sherk with Matt Cecil. Greg Seidel and Matt Lebo carded a 68.
Bob Grubb and his son, Troy, shot a 69, which included a rare eagle on the par 4 ninth hole.
"I drove it left, next to the creek," Bob Grubb said. "I had about 120 yards left. I hit a 9 iron that looked good, but I couldn't see where it ended up because of the hill in front. But when we got up there, it was in."
Other 69s were turned in by Bill Massar, Jr. and Dave Berkheimer, Tom Plunket and Ron Heisey, Ryan Fake and Zach Layser and Kerry Wentling (Skeet's uncle and Scott's brother) and Jon Day to close out the championship flight.
As it was last year at Fairview, the day belonged to Parpagene and Schmidt. Their 64 included eagles by Parpagene on No. 5, a 497-yard par 5, and by Schmidt on No. 15, a 530-yard par 5.
"On my eagle, I had a decent drive, hit a 7 iron Aaron Hicks Youth Jersey to about 12 feet and made the putt," Parpagene said. "On 15, Mike drove right to behind some trees. He hit a ball out of the rough that was a knuckle ball. It was right on line, but barely made it over the trees. It was the kind of shot that you can't judge the distance. He thought it'd be 20 feet over the green. When we got up there, it was two or three feet away for an eagle."
Schmidt said he was happy with the round, considering he hasn't been able to play much golf this summer, due to having 14-month old twin sons at home.
"It's kind of tough getting away on weekends for any length of time," he said.
Reply | Threaded
|

A 'mini tornado'-like storm brings down Dallastown baseball dugout

Angel92
It was almost like a mini tornado came through.
That's how Corey Knaub described a http://www.armacan.com/curtis-samuel-jersey-c-1_16.html Friday afternoon storm that moved over Dallastown Area High School, bringing down tree branches and soccer goals.
The biggest loss? Dallastown's home baseball dugout was all but destroyed, the back end knocked over and bricks left strewn about.
Knaub is the baseball team's assistant coach, there this year for the team's run to the state championship game.
More: Thunderstorms hitting central Pa., severe storm warning continues
He also works maintenance at the school and was there Friday, working inside on some pipes. He heard the storm go through shortly after the National Weather Service issued a severe thunderstorm warning for several Southcentral Pennsylvania counties.
"It was bad," Knaub said.
Knaub said he spoke to some parents who were sitting in the parking lot next to the baseball field.
"They said lightning struck right here at the field," Knaub said.
Paul Head, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in State College, said Friday's storm brought local reports of trees down, flooded streets and "numerous lightning strikes."
"There seems to be more lightning damage http://www.cinemakolik.com/derek-anderson-jersey-c-1_42.html than wind damage," Head said. "Unfortunately, there's no way to warn for lightning. We warn for wind and hail ... that's assumed you're gonna get lightning in a thunderstorm."
Reply | Threaded
|

Cameron Artis-Payne faces uphill battle

Angel92
Cameron Artis-Payne is on the roster bubble http://www.rd-corp.com/paul-oneill-jersey-c-1_33.html entering his third year with the Carolina Panthers…
The Carolina Panthers drafted Cameron Artis-Payne in the fifth-round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Since he has played in only 10 games for Carolina, starting three last season when veteran Jonathan Stewart was injured.
In those three games Artis-Payne rushed for 144-yards and two touchdowns, averaging four yards per carry. It would be the only game action he would see in what turned out to be a disappointing year all around for the franchise.
Entering last season Carolina carried four running backs on their 53-man roster: Stewart, Fozzy Whittaker, Mike Tolbert and Artis-Payne. Whittaker appeared in all 16 games due in large part to his return capabilities and an alternate running style from Stewart.
During the offseason Tolbert joined the Buffalo Bills and as a fullback will be replaced by either Alex Armah or Darrel Young. The Panthers also drafted running back Christian McCaffrey with their first pick of the draft.
Barring injury, McCaffrey is guaranteed a position along with Stewart and Whittaker. These three, in addition to the fullback, make up the four http://www.texansprosale.com/nick-martin-jersey-c-1_10.html running backs Carolina elected to keep on the 53-man roster entering the regular season last year.
However, in 2015 the Panthers carried five running backs and will need to again if Artis-Payne is included. Given Stewart’s injury history, he needs to be even with the addition of McCaffrey.
The rookie was drafted as a change of pace back and slot receiving option, not to replace Stewart. McCaffrey’s running style is more similar to Whittaker’s except with youth, more versatility and better elusiveness.
This begs to question, who replaces Stewart’s power running game if he goes down?
McCaffrey has already displayed an effectiveness to run between the tackles but with other roles better suited for his skill set, someone needs to occupy the power back position. Enter Artis-Payne.
Through two preseason games he has carried the ball 11 times for 92-yards and a touchdown. Game three against Jacksonville will be equally as Mark Herzlich Womens Jersey important for Artis-Payne as he continues to fight for a position.
Ultimately, coach Rivera and interim general manger Marty Hurney will have to decide how many running backs to keep, which will in turn, effect another position.
Reply | Threaded
|

Miller on top at Logan River

Angel92
It was the veteran against the rookie Wednesday afternoon and evening at the Logan River Golf Course.
Youth won out this time.
Braxton Miller celebrated his 23rd birthday http://www.officialpiratessale.com/starling-marte-jersey-c-1_15.html by winning the Logan River Men’s Club Championship. In a hard fought match against seven-time champion Nick Summers, Miller was victorious 2 and 1.
“This is a good way to celebrate, right?” said Miller of playing on his birthday.
Summers was the defending champion. The 35-year-old who resides in Avon won his first title back in 2002. Miller was well aware of how good Summers was, despite just meeting him during this golf season.
“I just had to go in and think I was playing the golf course,” said Miller, who works at Logan River and is a member of the Utah State golf team. “An opponent like that, you can psych yourself out. You have to go play the course the best you can. ... Nick is a good player.”
Summers and Miller entered match play as the top two seeds and got to the final. It took Miller 21 holes in his semifinal match against former champ Nate Nyman.
Wednesday was a new day.
“Match play is more of a sprint than a marathon,” Miller said.
“I was hitting irons off the tees and finding fairways for the most part. ... Off the tee was working for me.”
Losing in the final is not new for Summers as it has happened four times now. However, it is never easy.
“I had two or three swings that ended up costing me some bogeys,” Summers said. “Essentially, that was the difference in the match.”
Trailing by two heading to the par-3 14th, Miller knew he couldn’t let up. The senior-to-be at USU and Middleton, Idaho, native tried to keep the pressure on.
“I tried to keep my foot on the gas as best I could, just knowing how Nick plays because he can sneak up on you at any time,” Miller said. “I tried to stick to my game plan.”
The final holes were a bit frustrating for Summers. He just missed a birdie putt on 14, a hole they halved. He left a tough birdie putt short on No. 15, another halved hole.
On No. 16, Miller got in a little trouble, but Summers http://www.officialredsprostore.com/chris-heisey-jersey-c-1_29.html couldn’t cash in. He lipped out a putt for birdie and they both ended up making par.
“Nick burnt so many edges, many opportunities that I escaped with,” Miller said. “I was lucky. ... I flared my 4-iron (on the approach) right and it was muddy and firm. I had to get it close.”
And he did.
When it was do-or-die for Summers, he nearly sank a lengthy birdie putt on No. 17. However, it stopped on the edge and would not drop. Miller putted up close, and that was the match as the pair shook hands.
“I hit a great putt on 16, just misread it,” Summers said. “On 17, you are just trying to get it close to the hole and hope you get lucky, and I almost did.”
The match began with both golfers Aroldis Chapman Authentic Jersey picking up birdies on the first two holes. Miller took the early lead with a par on No. 3, while Summers had to take a bogey.
Summers won No. 6 with a long birdie putt and took No. 7 with a 4-foot birdie to surge in front. Usually that is bad news for his opponent, but as Summers pointed out, it was “way early in the match against a good player like Braxton.”
Miller didn’t panic despite being down for the first time in any match of the club championship. In fact, he took advantage of Summers finding the sand on No. 8 and squared the match. Miller then won No. 9 by rolling in a birdie putt. The Aggie golfer would lead the rest of the way.
“I just knew I needed to trust my swing and keep aiming for pins,” Miller said. “The greens were soft, so you could attack them. You just have to make putts. ... It was huge momentum for me to be 1-up (at the turn).”
Both golfers proved why they were playing for the title on No. 10. Miller found the drink, while Summers was way left of the hole on his drive and had to hit around a tree. They both ended up with pars on the hole.
Miller went up two holes with a birdie on No. 13, while Summers had to take a bogey. The score stayed that way until the match was over.
Miller was 4-under-par when it ended on No. 17, while Summers was 1-under.
“It’s great to see the young players,” Summers said. “I don’t feel like I’m that much older than him until I count the years, then I’m afraid to say how many it is. ... Braxton is fun to watch. He’s got a lot of talent, good as I’ve seen in Charles Johnson Youth Jersey a long time. It’s fun to have a player like him around here.”
Miller hopes to carry the momentum into the Utah Open qualifier and then the college season with the Aggies.
In the other flights, Nate Stokes beat Kian Ben-Jacob in the A Flight, Dave Miller got the better of John Pappas in the B Flight, and Lyle Riggs won against Sheridan Peck in the C Flight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Legendary Reds scout Gene Bennett dies

Angel92
Longtime Cincinnati Reds scout Gene http://www.hl-sapporo.com/cameron-artispayne-jersey-c-1_26.html Bennett, a Portsmouth, Ohio, native, died in his hometown at the age of 89 on Wednesday.
The Reds sent out a release on Wednesday evening, offering their condolences and many Cincinnati Reds executive and former players chimed in on his impact.
Reds President and Chief Executive Officer Bob Castellini said, "Gene was one of the game's great scouts. He loved baseball, loved his team and forever changed the way we looked for talented players. He will be missed."
"Gene has been part of the Reds' family for more than 60 years," said Reds President of Baseball Operations, General Manager Dick Williams. "His legacy touches not only our organization but also the baseball scouting fraternity. He made countless contributions to the success of our proud franchise."
Bennett was a senior special assistant to the Reds' general managers from October 1992 until he retired in January 2011. After signing as a player in 1952, he began scouting in 1958 and was promoted to scouting supervisor in 1975. His http://www.hssmstore.com/chris-scott-jersey-c-1_21.html notable signings include Reds Hall of Famers Don Gullett, Barry Larkin and Chris Sabo along with Jeff Russell, Charlie Leibrandt and Paul O'Neill.
"Gene had a major influence on me not only in baseball, but in life in general," said Vice President, Assistant General Manager Nick Krall, who has worked in the Reds' front office since 2003. "We talked about baseball, giving back to the community and family. I can't begin to describe how much I appreciate him for taking that time for me."
Bennett received the Topps Scout of the Month Award 12 times and in 1988 received the Topps All-Star Scout Award. In 1996 he was elected to the Middle Atlantic Major League Baseball Scouts Hall of Fame. In January 2009 Bennett received the Legends In Scouting Award from the Professional Baseball Scouts Foundation and at the December 2009 Winter Meetings he received the Midwest Scout of the Year Award.
Cooperstown Hall of Famer Larkin, a 12-time All-Star and the National League's Most Valuable Player in 1995, said in January 2011 when Bennett retired, "Gene not only is a great scout, as anyone in baseball will tell you, but he also is such a Graham Gano Authentic Jersey wonderful person. He will be missed by everyone in the game."
Gene was preceded in death by his wife, Loretta. They have a son, David, a daughter, Cathy, and four grandchildren.
Reply | Threaded
|

Reds notes: Arroyo to perform at celebration of his career

Angel92
CINCINNATI —
Baseball and music are two of pitcher http://www.arimtex.com/aaron-hicks-jersey-c-1_38.html Bronson Arroyo’s passions, and both will be major parts of the Reds’ celebration of his 16-year career.
The Reds announced Wednesday that Sept. 23 has been designated as “Kickin’ It With Bronson Night.” Arroyo, in the final season of a career that started with the Pittsburgh Pirates and included a World Series championship with the Boston Red Sox, will be honored in pregame ceremonies that will include tribute videos from his former teammates, coaches, friends and celebrities.
»RELATED: Rookie Mahle unruffled by McCutchen stunt
After that day’s 4:10 p.m. game against, appropriately, the Red Sox, Arroyo the guitarist and his band will perform in a 40-minute concert, followed by a fireworks show.
“It is going to be a mini concert,” advised Arroyo, whose final season has been cut short by a shoulder injury. “A real concert is three hours long. Bronson Arroyo ain’t got three hours in him. That’s Bruce Springsteen. That’s Pearl Jam. That’s a real show. I’m going to give them the appetizer. I’m going to give them the shrimp cocktail and then they can watch the fireworks.”
Fans can purchase a $10 field pass add-on to their game ticket to watch the concert from the infield, with all proceeds benefiting the Reds Community Fund. Packages are also available that include a game ticket, meet and greet with Arroyo and field pass for the concert. Tickets and additional details are available at Reds.com/Bronson.
“It’s going to be fun,” Arroyo said. “I can’t contribute on the field right now, but at least I can contribute in some other ways. Internally, we’re thinking about wins and losses all the time, and that drives the machine. At the end of the day, the ammenities here, the food, the overall experience still matters a lot to the fans. It is what keeps them coming back.
“I’m trying to do my part. I’ve been doing some little things. They’ve given me the opportunity to play around the ballpark. With the Red Sox coming in, it will be a nice cap to my career, moving on to the things that I’ll be doing. I’ll be doing a lot more than throwing a baseball in the future.”
Arroyo said he and his band will play all cover songs.
“I’ll just play songs that hopefully people know, stuff that’s turned me on throughout my career,” he said. “Hopefully, people enjoy it.”
Arroyo made his Reds debut in 2006 after being acquired in a trade from the Red Sox and played eight seasons in Cincinnati before returning in 2017.
He ranks sixth on the franchise career strikeout list with 1,157 and is in the top 17 with 279 starts, 108 wins and 1,761 innings.
Arroyo received the Johnny Vander Meer Award as the http://www.armacan.com/christian-mccaffrey-jersey-c-1_19.html Reds Most Outstanding Pitcher in 2006, 2009 and 2010 and the Joe Nuxhall Good Guy Award in 2006, 2009, 2011 and 2012. He was a 2006 All-Star and won the Rawlings Gold Glove in 2010.
Mound man: Chances that right-hander Anthony DeSclafani will pitch for the Reds this season are fading.
DeSclafani, whose comeback from elbow problems that have kept him sidelined all season was derailed when he left a start for Single-A Dayton with a forearm inflammation, has worked his way back to throwing from a mound. He threw 20 pitches, all fastballs, from a mound on Tuesday and played catch on Wednesday, mixing in some breaking balls, manager Bryan Price reported Wednesday. He is scheduled to throw off a mound in Pittsburgh on Friday.
The Reds are hoping to get DeSclafani to the point where he can pitch enough in venues such as the Instructional League to prove he can handle the stress of a full-time major-league workload next season, Price said.
“The focus isn’t on getting him back to pitch here in September,” the manager said. “We want him to build up a body of work. We have to have confidence that his elbow can handle the rigors of a full season.”
DeSclafani, 27, led National League rookies with 31 starts while going 9-13 in 2015, his first season with the Reds after being acquired from the Marlins with catcher Chad Wallach for right-hander Mat Latos. A strained left oblique limited him to 20 starts last season.
Winker update: Rookie outfielder Jesse Winker had yet to resume baseball activities six days after going on the 10-day disabled list with a left hip flexor injury.
“He’s feeling better, but he still has a ways to go,” Price said.
Winker was hitting .297 with four home runs and 10 runs batted in over 30 games when he went on the disabled list.
Speaking of outfielders, rookie Phillip Ervin was plugged into the leadoff slot and center field for Wednesday’s game against the Mets. Ervin was Daeshon Hall Youth Jersey making his first career appearances in both spots while Billy Hamilton got the day off.
“He’s played every game except one this month, so this is second day off,” Price said of Hamilton.
Hitting the road: Rookie right-hander Robert Stephenson (2-4, 5.81 ERA) is Cincinnati’s scheduled starter in Thursday’s 12:35 p.m. finale of the three-game series against New York and the nine-game home stand. Right-hander Jacob deGrom (14-7, 3.39), the Mets’ leading winner, is scheduled to start in just his second career start against the Reds. He got the win in an 8-1 New York romp on Sept. 27, 2015, at Great American Ball Park.
The Reds leave after the game for a brief three-game series and road trip in Pittsburgh before returning home for a just-as-brief three-game series and home stand against Milwaukee.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brenton Bersin, Panthers’ other injured players trying to get back before final cuts

Angel92
There’s never a good time to get injured in the NFL.
But there has to be a bit of a helpless http://www.rd-corp.com/johnny-damon-jersey-c-1_29.html feeling for players on the roster bubble who get hurt heading into final cuts and might not get another chance to prove their worth during an exhibition game.
The Carolina Panthers have several players in that predicament this week, from veterans such as wide receiver Brenton Bersin, center Gino Gradkowski and defensive tackle Kyle Love to newcomers sucbh as safety and Charlotte native L.J. McCray and undrafted wideout Fred Ross.
Gradkowski and Love have not been at either of the team’s practices this week, while Bersin and McCray were among the injured players who rode stationary bikes and did some running and conditioning on the side on Monday. Bersin has been out since injuring his shoulder at Tennessee on Aug. 19.
“They worked them pretty hard today to see how they’re going to react to it,” Panthers coach Ron Rivera said. “We’ll see how they are in http://www.texansprosale.com/kareem-jackson-jersey-c-1_42.html the morning.”
One player who appeared to have a setback was offensive lineman Chris Scott, who has missed most of the past two weeks while in the concussion protocol. After taking part in Sunday’s practice, Scott was carted back to the stadium by head athletics trainer Ryan Vermillion early in Monday’s practice.
Scott, who can play guard and center, joined the Panthers in 2013 and has been a valuable spot starter and reserve lineman because of his versatility. But his roster spot was far from guaranteed before his head injury.
Rivera said coaches and the front office will evaluate a player’s entire body of work when making decisions this week. Teams must cut rosters from 90 players to 53 by Saturday.
“We’re going to judge guys on everything that they’ve done. Some of these guys unfortunately have had limited opportunities,” Rivera said. “But John Jerry Womens Jersey when we make decisions we’re going to judge guys based on those (big picture) things.”
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey destruction creates flashbacks for Katrina evacuees

Angel92
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. —
For almost a full week, there have been http://www.officialpiratessale.com/andrew-mccutchen-jersey-c-1_2.html stories of heartbreak and destruction from Hurricane Harvey. Those cause flashbacks for Michael Adams.
"To see places that you're familiar with, I see old clips of Katrina and just places that you frequented that you are just so familiar with, its heartbreaking," said Adams. He owns Blue Orleans in Chattanooga's southside district. The restaurant serves Creole and New Orleans-like cuisine. Around there, they call him Chef Mike.
He evacuated New Orleans to Chattanooga in 2005, just after moving into a new home with his wife and kids. His family stayed with his brother, who was a Chattanooga resident. That was just a few days before Hurricane Katrina devastated the city, killing 1,833 people.
"We all just migrated here to Chattanooga thinking it would be a couple of days," Adams said. "It turned out to be 10 or 12 years."
12 years later, Adams owns and runs a successful restaurant. He told News Channel 9 he decided to never move back to home.
"I had babies" he said. "That was gonna be hard to do."
Adams says he finds it therapeutic to give Chattanoogans a taste of New Orleans culture, and when he feels homesick, he has a routine.
"When I want solace and a little peace or something reminiscent of home," he said. "I come here [to the restaurant] and cook gumbo and that takes me back home."
He hopes people in Houston will eventually feel that http://www.officialredsprostore.com/chris-sabo-jersey-c-1_23.html same kind of peace, wherever they may be in 10 or 12 years.
Adams says the restaurant first opened on Amnicola Highway in 2006. They later moved to their current spot in 2007. They will celebrate their 10 year anniversary in it's building this October.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cam Robinson locks up Jaguars' left tackle job after odd start to training camp

Angel92
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The Jaguars' left tackle http://www.officialredssale.com/dave-concepcion-jersey-c-1_12.html position has been in a state of flux since the start of last season.
The spot's stability had never been more unsettled than when veteran Branden Albert decided to abruptly retire prior to the fourth training camp practice on July 31.
Second-round pick Cam Robinson wasn't the favorite to win the job when camp opened, but he is now in the driver's seat. He will be blocking starting quarterback Blake Bortles' blindside for the foreseeable future.
The rookie made the most of his opportunities once Albert left the team. Despite briefly competing with veteran Josh Wells, Robinson took charge of the position from the moment the Jaguars announced Albert's departure.
DOWNLOAD THE FREE FIRST COAST FOOTBALL FOR MORE JAGUARS COVERAGE
Robinson started the first three preseason games, offering more positives than negatives. He was a healthy scratch in the preseason finale against the Atlanta Falcons.
His preseason debut featured a strong pass blocking performance. He also protected well during the second preseason game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
The lone blemish on the rookie's offseason was an opening drive sack allowed to Carolina Panthers defensive end Mario Addison in the third http://www.ochomesnloans.com/daryl-worley-jersey-c-1_25.html preseason game. On third-and-13, Addison blew by Robinson to take down backup quarterback Chad Henne.
"Just a technical error on my part," Robinson said this week. "I knew exactly when it happened. [I'll] just correct it and move on."
Robinson has shown maturity during his ascension to the most important position on the offensive line. His three years of starting experience at the University of Alabama have paid off.
While the rest of the offensive line seems to be struggling to find its grasp, Robinson appears to be among the few bright spots. The Jaguars feel like he will be ready for the challenge of facing the Houston Texans on September 10.
Starting a rookie left tackle in Week 1 against the likes of J.J. Watt and Whitney Mercilus may seem like a fool's errand - and perhaps it is - but Robinson clearly has been the best man for the job since the early days of training camp.
Robinson and his fellow linemen have another week to prepare for their first major assignment. The unit has struggled throughout the preseason as a group, but Robinson believes the continuity and chemistry will come with time.
"Just keep working," Robinson said. "At the end of the day, I think that's the only thing you can do. It's the best thing you can do. Just come in every Graham Gano Authentic Jersey practice with the same mentality, find out what we need to get better at and just work on it each and every day."
Reply | Threaded
|

Revisiting the MLBTR Archives: August 2012

Angel92
We’re a few weeks into August now, but better late than never, right? It’s time for another edition of our MLBTR Archives series, in http://www.ochomesnloans.com/andrew-norwell-jersey-c-1_33.html which we look back at all the Yankees-related rumors and transactions from five years ago. On the morning of August 1st, 2012, the Yankees were 60-43 and 5.5 games up in the AL East. They had, however, lost nine of their previous 12 games.
The Yankees made two trades at the 2012 trade deadline, adding Ichiro Suzuki and Casey McGehee. They didn’t address their rotation even though CC Sabathia and Andy Pettitte had spent time on the disabled list, and others like Ivan Nova and Freddy Garcia earned demotions. August transactions are typically small and August rumors are usually retrospective. We usually hear a lot about what could have happened at the deadline rather than what might happen now. Anyway, time to jump back in time to August 2012.
August 1st, 2012: Minor Moves: Jack Cust, Dewayne Wise
The Yankees have also released outfielders Colin Curtis and Ray Kruml according to Collins. The 27-year-old Curtis hit .186/.250/.288 in 64 plate appearances with New York in 2010.
At one point the Yankees had Ray Kruml and Austin Krum in the farm system. Don’t ask me why I remember that. Both have been out of baseball for a while.
Curtis, meanwhile, is best remembered for his http://www.yadeos.com/kawann-short-jersey-c-1_10.html mid-at-bat pinch-hit home run a few years back. Brett Gardner was tossed for arguing balls and strikes, Curtis replaced him and inherited an 0-2 count, and socked his only career MLB home run off Scot Shields (!).
The Yankees released Curtis in 2012, he spent the rest of that season in an independent league, and that was that. Out of baseball since. I could have sworn I remember seeing something saying he’s started coaching at the college level, but I can’t seem to find anything now. I could be completely wrong.
August 2nd, 2012: Yankees Designate Ramiro Pena For Assignment
The Yankees have designated Ramiro Pena for assignment according to the transactions page at MLB.com. The move cleared room on the roster for the recently-acquired Casey McGehee.
Rakin’ Ramiro was always a personal fave because he could play the hell out of shortstop, though he couldn’t hit at all. Before getting called up for the first time, his best minor league season was a .266/.330/.357 line with Double-A Trenton in 2008. Pena cleared waivers and went to Triple-A, and has been bouncing around the minors ever since. He actually returned to the big leagues with the Giants last year, hitting .299/.330/.425 in 30 J.J. Watt Authentic Jersey games as bench bat. Who knew? Ramiro is currently hitting .216/.256/.243 in limited time for the Hiroshima Carp in Japan.
Reply | Threaded
|

Locals participate in Oldtime Baseball game with Pedro

Angel92
They played a baseball game last week and no one cared (much) who won.
No charge. No need to buy a ticket. People http://www.dusenadup.com/kawann-short-jersey-c-1_9.html just came and brought their own chairs because bleacher seating is limited at St. Peter’s Field in Cambridge. Nearly 4,000 people came walking 10 minutes or more to the field from wherever they found parking.
Among the players was one baseball legend and three South Shore players, who, by their presence, contributed to the ongoing battle against ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) and to one lover of the game who’s been diagnosed with the disease, John Martin. Martin, 50, is an award-winning NESN videographer who was diagnosed with ALS in October of 2016 and immediately retired to fight his fight and make the rest of his life about his wife Adrienne, and daughters Kaia (13) and Gabriella (6).
David Griffin (right-handed pitcher) from Hanover, Tommy Larason (right-handed pitcher) from Norwell and Lou Merloni (infielder/Boston Red Sox retired) from Marshfield, were teammates for a night with the legendary Pedro Martinez in the 24th annual Oldtime Baseball Game, the ongoing baseball legacy of longtime Boston Herald sports columnist, Steve Buckley. One of the unique aspects of Buckley’s game is that players wear throwback jerseys, some of them borderline historic.
Merloni was with the Red Sox from 1998-2002 and a part of 2003. He was a teammate of Martinez when Pedro was the most dominant pitcher in the game. During his playing days he was never just ‘Lou Merloni,’ but ‘Framingham’s Lou Merloni.’ Growing up, his family also owned a home in Marshfield’s Kent Park so he spent summers at Humarock Beach. He’s now ‘Marshfield’s Lou Merloni.’ This http://www.hl-sapporo.com/derek-anderson-jersey-c-1_25.html was Merloni’s 10th Oldtime Baseball Game and he wore an 1890 Boston Beaneaters uniform, which had no number. Numbers on jerseys came much later, sometime after the Beaneaters had come to be known as the Boston Braves.
Griffin is a Hanover High product now going into his senior year at Curry College where he’s been the three-year ace of the staff for the Colonels and a summertime standout for the Brockton Rox of the Futures League. He wore a Braves uniform with the No. 19, the jersey worn by the beloved ‘Walpole Joe’ Morgan when he played with the Milwaukee Braves in 1957. Morgan wore the same jersey when he coached in the Oldtime Baseball Game in 1998.
Larason is going into his junior year at Wheaton College where he was part of a Lyons team that reached the Division III College World Series in early June. He starred at the high school level for the Norwell Clippers, has played for the Cranberry League’s Marshfield entry for three seasons and thrown both for the Plymouth Pilgrims of the NECBL and the Brockton Rox in summer ball. The large ‘S’ on the chest of his long sleeved uniform signified the San Francisco Seals of the Pacific Coast League and his No. 10 jersey was worn by 19-year-old Joe DiMaggio in 1932.
Players in the first base dugout gravitated to Andrew Norwell Youth Jersey Martinez who, clearly, was having great fun with his teammates. Griffin warmed up playing catch with Pedro and admitted being a little nervous. An “unbelievable experience,” he said, although he was very conscious of not wanting to make a bad throw.
1 ... 891011121314 ... 39