classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Need some spelling advice

Trianera
Hi!

OK, this is a bit embarassing, please don't laugh...

A few years ago I was performing at a Lebanese restaurant (I'm a belly dancer) and the owner used to call me Yara (a common name in Lebanon) and I've been using it as a stage name since then.
 I've been spelling it with an "H" at the end though, since I read somewhere that Yara means "wound" in Turkish... however, I was told recently that "yarah" means p*nis in Turkish...  

At the moment, I usually perform for Arabic audiences, but I'm moving to a city with a large Turkish community so I definitely have to do someting about the name!

So, my question is, would the name be OK if I spell it without the H? If it means wound, would it be seen as offensive, just weird or simply another foreign name? In Brazil it's sometimes spelled Iara, not sure if that could be an option...

Thanks in advance!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Need some spelling advice

Fatmagül Ilgaz
hehehe
Welcome !

The only ones who can help you here are Erkan and Angel.

I love the name "Yara" by the way

Fatmagul7
Reply | Threaded
|

erkan
Administrator
In reply to this post by Trianera
Trianera wrote
Hi!

OK, this is a bit embarassing, please don't laugh...

A few years ago I was performing at a Lebanese restaurant (I'm a belly dancer) and the owner used to call me Yara (a common name in Lebanon) and I've been using it as a stage name since then.
 I've been spelling it with an "H" at the end though, since I read somewhere that Yara means "wound" in Turkish... however, I was told recently that "yarah" means p*nis in Turkish...  

At the moment, I usually perform for Arabic audiences, but I'm moving to a city with a large Turkish community so I definitely have to do someting about the name!

So, my question is, would the name be OK if I spell it without the H? If it means wound, would it be seen as offensive, just weird or simply another foreign name? In Brazil it's sometimes spelled Iara, not sure if that could be an option...

Thanks in advance!
Hello, yes Yarah/Yarak is male sexual organ in Turkish. For a Turkish audience in Turkey, it might be wiser to go with Yara or Iara. But in an Arabic city for an audiance partially Turkish, I don't think it would be an issue.

Yara doesn't sound offensive or weird. Considering Yar means love/lover in Turkish, Yara (wound) is actually a quite fitting stage name for a belly dancer :) I like it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Trianera
Thank you so much!!!

"Yara" it is then!

Just discovered the Turkish Food forum by the way, hehe, off to the supermarket