CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Istanbul

Emin Ines
I'm planning a trip to Istanbul and Bodrum this summer. Do you know which place in Istanbul will be the best for staying ? I heard that the North was better, less touristic, more young and a lot of places for going out... Do you agree ?
Reply | Threaded
|  

yasemin
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|  

Emin Ines
Yes, I'm talking about the North of the European part of Istanbul.
I heard that Sultanahmet was too crowded with tourists... What do you think about Taksim ?

Thanks for the link ! :)
Reply | Threaded
|  

yasemin
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|  

VURAngeL
In reply to this post by Emin Ines
Ines. Firstly, are you traveling alone or with friends? How long do you plan to stay and what type of experirience are you looking for? If you're planning a trip  to Bodrum I would skip the istanbul nightlife scene. I don't drink or frequent clubs so don't have firsthand experience with the clubs scene but Taksim is a bit dangerous at night. I recomend Taksim only during daytime and for the shopping and cafes. Especially if you're traveling alone. I do recommend SultanAhmat/Chemberlitash area. It's turisty but beautiful and there's sooo much to see and do. I live on the European side so if you give me some idea what you're looking for I may be able to provide you with some suggestions. By the way, Yes. turkish men are generally quite handsome.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Emin Ines
Hey Angel.

I'm traveling with three or four girls. And we are planning to stay around 10 days (5 days for each city).

Basically, all of us don't like "tourist" stuff, etc. We want to meet the population, the locals and to see the turkish culture. In fact we are looking for the "real" Istanbul... But, we want a lively area with some entertainment because we really want to go out by night (restaurants, clubs,...).

Thank you for your help ! :)
Reply | Threaded
|  

yasemin
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|  

VURAngeL
In reply to this post by Emin Ines
Unfortunately 10 days wouldn’t be a fraction of the time necessary to see the city and experience either city as anything other than a tourist. Also,  If you want see Istanbul you will not be able to avoid the touristic areas.  Could I see Le tour Eiffel and avoid tourists?  In Istanbul the must sees would be

The Old Town,. There you must go to: The grand bazaar, The Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace and Ayasofia- You can see all of these in 1.5 days. If you don’t see these you can’t claim having visited Istanbul. If you have a chance you should eat at CENNET RESTAURANT in çemberlıtaş

Eyup is also a nice area to see. You should also go to the Galata Bridge. On a clear day you can see all of Istanbul from it. It’s breathtaking. If you can you should try to catch a view of the swirling dervishes. At the Galata Mevlevihanesi, the dervishes perform twice a month  for tourists and 3x a week you can see the at the  waiting room at Sirkeci train station. The sect is technically outlawed so they’re hardly seen in the city.

You should try  çiğ köfte  and sur tatlisi at Sur Kebab restaurant in Fatih.  Near the aqueduct and you should definetely see the city walls.

Nightlife-  You can get a feel of the Turkish nightlife in Beyoglu, on Istiklal street in Taksim. There are lots of bars and clubs.  There are also lots of restaurants and cafes. All within about 100 ft of the main road. You can also go to Ortakoy, another nightlife district, a  smaller place but lots of bars and there are lots of  artisans selling crafts on the streets . I really recommend that you’re careful when roaming around at night. Especially in Beyoglu/Taksim.  While in Taksim you can eat in Haci Baba, on, Istiklal street in Beyoglu.

If you want to see non touristic Istanbul I recommend going to Balat.  I will research other non touristic areas and things to do for you.

There are certain cultural spoken and unspoken rules in Turkey when you visit the mosques. If you visit mosques make sure you’re legs and are covered and don’t wear revealing clothing. You are expected to take off your shoes when entering the mosque and usually people’s homes. Maybe I can show you around when you come.

Let me know if you have any other ??????????s
Reply | Threaded
|  

VURAngeL
In reply to this post by yasemin
Yasemin, we're fresh out of the battle over Vural (which you clearly lost by the way) and now you want to start one over real Istanbul?  I love Uskudar but you know Istanbul is Istanbul. Both sides of it. That's what makes it so magical and unique. Degil mi? I'm waiting for you to come so we can open our own tourism company. We'll call it A&Y tours. What do you say?
Reply | Threaded
|  

yasemin
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|  

yasemin
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by VURAngeL
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|  

yasemin
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|  

VURAngeL
i'm known to have saved a lost soul or 2 in my pre marital bliss. I can handle Vural. Heard Mr Rogers had his own set of issues so you'll have your hands as full as mine.
Y&A works for me, just wanted the reaction.  
Reply | Threaded
|  

VURAngeL
Winter- the rain, the rain, the rain......
Reply | Threaded
|  

yasemin
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|  

yasemin
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|  

VURAngeL
Actually you'd be happy to know that they're in fashion this year and can be found everywhere and in all different colors and patterns.
Reply | Threaded
|  

yasemin
CONTENTS DELETED
Reply | Threaded
|