Favourite Painters

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Favourite Painters

Münir-ViviSoraya
Ok this is a thread for our favourite painters and their work.
We can post their art, maybe a bio and discuss them.
I'll start with one of my favourite Greek painters: Domenikos Theotokopoulos also known as "El Greco".

El Greco (1541 – April 7, 1614) was a painter, sculptor and architect of the Spanish Renaissance. "El Greco" (The Greek) was a nickname, a reference to his Greek origin, and the artist normally signed his paintings with his full birth name in Greek letters, Δομήνικος Θεοτοκόπουλος (Doménikos Theotokópoulos).

The Disrobing of Christ

Portrait of An Old Man

View of Toledo

El Caballero de la mano en el pecho

I can resist anything but temptation..
-Oscar Wilde
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Favourite Painters

Summer Peri
This post was updated on .
Since you already posted El Greco i just think we need to say that El Greco has been characterized by modern scholars as an artist so individual that he belongs to no conventional school.He is best known for tortuously elongated figures and often fantastic or phantasmagorical pigmentation, marrying Byzantine traditions with those of Western painting!(wiki)

And of course mention the impact he had on other painters,his expressiveness and colors influenced Eugène Delacroix and Édouard Manet and of course Pablo Picasso!
Theotocopoulos

Picasso

"You have your brush, you have your colors, you paint the paradise, then in you go."

— Nikos Kazantzakis
Reply | Threaded
|

Summer Peri
I mentioned him before,favorite for national and art reasons...

Eugène Delacroix

Ferdinand Victor Eugène Delacroix (26 April 1798 – 13 August 1863) was a French Romantic artist regarded from the outset of his career as the leader of the French Romantic school. Delacroix's use of expressive brushstrokes and his study of the optical effects of colour profoundly shaped the work of the Impressionists, while his passion for the exotic inspired the artists of the Symbolist movement. A fine lithographer, Delacroix illustrated various works of William Shakespeare, the Scottish writer Walter Scott and the German writer Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Liberty Leading the People

Arab Horses Fighting in a Stable

Greece on the Ruins of Messolongi (1826)

Massacre at Chios (Louvre)

Death of Sardanapalus

"You have your brush, you have your colors, you paint the paradise, then in you go."

— Nikos Kazantzakis
Reply | Threaded
|

Münir-ViviSoraya
In reply to this post by Summer Peri
Well said sister!Another proof of Theotokopoulos's influence on Picasso:

"The Opening of the Fifth Seal" El Greco                                                       "Les Demoiselles d'Avignon" Picasso
-Oscar Wilde
Reply | Threaded
|

Meryem-Naj Abla
Claude Monet, born Oscar Claude Monet (14 November 1840 – 5 December 1926), was a founder of French impressionist painting, and the most consistent and prolific practitioner of the movement's philosophy of expressing one's perceptions before nature, especially as applied to plein-air landscape painting. The term Impressionism is derived from the title of his painting Impression, Sunrise (Impression, soleil levant).

Claude Monet by Renoir 1872

Claude Monet by Nadar 1899

Impression, soleil levant

I particularly like his poppy paintings:

Meryem3
Reply | Threaded
|

Münir-ViviSoraya
I love Monet, great choice Meryem!
Here are some more of his work:

Tulip Fields with Windmill

Garden Path

Blue Water Lilies

Giverny in Springtime
-Oscar Wilde
Reply | Threaded
|

VURAngeL
In reply to this post by Münir-ViviSoraya
Great thread. One of my absolute favorite paintings

Henri Rousseau (1844 – September 2, 1910) was a French Post-Impressionist painter. He studied law, worked as a lawyer and later as  a tax collector and was often ridiculed for it. He was self taught and still today many people think his art is pretty but can not be taken seriously. I happen to think he  was an absolute genius (which means there's hope for us) His art is very simple. It often consisted of jungle scenes which makes it even more amazing as he never traveled outside of France. He influence many artists, among them Picasso who learned of him when he saw one of Rousseau's paintings being sold on the street to be painted over and used for the canvas. The two later met.

His last painting

Reply | Threaded
|

liz-06
this forum is exciting

i prefer surreal & gothic styles
Der Wanderer über dem Nebelmeer/;The wanderer above the sea of fog;Le voyageur au-dessus de la mer de brume
This well-known and especially Romantic masterpiece was described by the writer John Lewis Gaddis as leaving a contradictory impression, "suggesting at once mastery over a landscape and the insignificance of the individual within it. We see no face, so it's impossible to know whether the prospect facing the young man is exhilarating, or terrifying, or both.

^------ all by Caspar David Friedrich (September 5, 1774 – May 7, 1840)19th-century German Romantic landscape painter, generally considered the most important German artist of his generation.

Bana sakın söyleme hayatta kalamayacağımı
sen benim felaketimden kaçarken o bana sahip çıktı.
ne kadar aşağılık bir adam olursa olsun; yaptığının bedelini ödemeye
göze aldı.
senin gibi kaçıp gitmedi.
Reply | Threaded
|

Münir-ViviSoraya
Nice Liz!Specially the last one was great!

I'll continue with a more abstract artist, Jackson Pollock.
Paul Jackson Pollock (January 28, 1912 – August 11, 1956), known as Jackson Pollock, was an influential American painter and a major figure in the abstract expressionist movement. During his lifetime, Pollock enjoyed considerable fame and notoriety. He was regarded as a mostly reclusive artist. He had a volatile personality, and struggled with alcoholism for most of his life.
His work is a chaos, someone could even say his paintings look like smudges, but I love him.
Only a complicated, tormented man could come up with this. I think the alcohol helped too!

Number 1

The Key

Lucifer

Ocean Greyness

The Deep
-Oscar Wilde
Reply | Threaded
|

liz-06
nice, i like "deep!!" thnks for the info and insight abt the artist; im learning alot

Pierre Puvis de Chavannes, (14 December 1824 – 24 October 1898), was a French painter, who became the president and co-founder of the Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts and whose work influenced many other artists.

Der Traum/the dream
Bana sakın söyleme hayatta kalamayacağımı
sen benim felaketimden kaçarken o bana sahip çıktı.
ne kadar aşağılık bir adam olursa olsun; yaptığının bedelini ödemeye
göze aldı.
senin gibi kaçıp gitmedi.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ender Hanim
Gustav Klimt

Gustav Klimt (July 14, 1862 – February 6, 1918) was an Austrian Symbolist painter and one of the most prominent members of the Vienna Secession movement. His major works include paintings, murals, sketches, and other art objects. Klimt's primary subject was the female body, and his works are marked by a frank eroticism—nowhere is this more apparent than in his numerous drawings in pencil. (Source: Wikipedia).

The Kiss

Hope

Sea Serpents IV

Lady with fan

Mother and Child
Ender2
Reply | Threaded
|

VURAngeL
Ender, I really like the idea of adding the artist's photo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ender Hanim
Friedensreich Hundertwasser

Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser (December 15, 1928  – February 19, 2000) was a Jewish Austrian painter and architect. Born Friedrich Stowasser in Vienna, he became one of the best-known contemporary Austrian artists, although controversial, by the end of the 20th century. (by Wikipedia)

30 Day Fax Picture

Green Town

Exodus into Space

The blobs grow in the flower pot

I love his house in Vienna, I go there whenever I have the chance. (By "his" I mean he designed it. It's an appartment block.)

Ender2
Reply | Threaded
|

VURAngeL
Maurits Cornelis Escher (17 June 1898 – 27 March 1972), usually referred to as M. C. Escher  was a Dutch graphic artist.
He is known for his often mathematically inspired woodcuts, lithographs, and mezzotints.
These feature impossible constructions, explorations of infinity, architecture, and tessellations.

Escher quotes

Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible. I think it's in my basement... let me go upstairs and check.

So let us then try to climb the mountain, not by stepping on what is below us, but to pull us up at what is above us, for my part at the stars; amen.

Reply | Threaded
|

Summer Peri
In reply to this post by VURAngeL
He makes me happy!..

Joan Miro

Joan Miró i Ferrà (Catalan pronunciation: [ʒuˈam miˈɾo]) (April 20, 1893 – December 25, 1983) was a Spanish Catalan painter, sculptor, and ceramicist born in Barcelona.

La Leçon de Ski

— Nikos Kazantzakis
Reply | Threaded
|

VURAngeL
I really enjoy Miro's work. I had the opportunity
to see his exhibit here in Istanbul. It was gorgeous.

Dog barking at the moon is one of my favorites

Reply | Threaded
|

VURAngeL

Andrew Newell Wyeth ] July 12, 1917 – January 16, 2009) was a visual artist, primarily a realist painter,
working predominantly in a regionalist style.
He was one of the best-known U.S. artists of the middle 20th century.
In his art, Wyeth's favorite subjects were the land and people around him,
both in his hometown of Chadds Ford, Pennsylvania, and at his summer home in Cushing, Maine.

Master Bedroom- my favorite Wyeth paintings

Christina's world

Wind

Reply | Threaded
|

VURAngeL
These are not renown artists but children from around the world
I love children's art. They see things so differently than adults.

Pony
Chalk
Ellah H.
Age 1
Alberta, Canada

Van Gogh
Crayon
L. San Wen
Age 9
Malaysia

Bob Marley - My Favorite Singer
Watercolor
Bimbea D.
Age 6
Romania

My Lovely Dinner Time
Acrylic
Nathania Caroline C.
Age 9
Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia

Desert Sunset
Pastel on construction paper
Krystina H.
Age 10
Texas, USA

A Brave Man is Fighting With a Buffalo
Acrylic
Fransisca Augustine C.
Age 11
Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia
Reply | Threaded
|

VURAngeL

Flaming June is a painting by Lord Frederic Leighton, produced in 1895. Painted with oil paints on a 47" x 47" square canvas, it is widely considered to be Leighton's magnum opus, showing his classicist nature. It is thought that the woman portrayed alludes to the figures of sleeping nymphs and naiads the Greeks often sculpted. The (toxic) Oleander branch in the top right, symbolises the fragile link between sleep and death.

Dorothy Dene, the actress, and Mary Lloyd, who was depicted in paintings by various Pre-Raphaelite artists, have been variously credited with modeling for the work.

Flaming June was auctioned in the 1960s, during a period of time known to be difficult for selling Victorian era paintings, where it failed to sell for its low reserve price of $140 USD (the equivalent of $840 in contemporary prices). Afterward, it was promptly purchased by the Ponce Museum of Art in Puerto Rico where it currently resides